[PD] [midifile]

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 12:53:07 CET 2022

I agree, this is an established aspect of patching in Pd and changing it is not likely possible at this point. A positive reinforcement for using trigger is that it's simply more readable. I also admit to using fanning when I know order isn't as important for that case,

I feel like often these problems also come from people trying Pd out after being more familiar with Max. Perhaps it would be good if Pd included a mini "Pd for Max users" guide which starts with execution order differences, ie. on canvas placement versus creation order. Forgive me if this info is in our documentation, I admit to not having gone through it since circa 2006 when I first started with Pd.

> On Feb 10, 2022, at 12:00 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 10:30:36 +0100
> From: Roman Haefeli <reduzent at gmail.com <mailto:reduzent at gmail.com>>
> To: pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] [midifile]
>
> On Thu, 2022-02-10 at 10:09 +0100, Max wrote:
>
>> Should Pd warn the user when one outlet is connected to multiple
>> objects?
>
> I'd rather want Pd not to do that.
>
> 1) There are too many cases where fanning outlet connections are OK.
>
> 2) I believe it's more valuable if people do not fanning connections
> because they understand their implications rather than because a
> message tells them to avoid them.
>
> 3) I'm personally not so fond of the idea of giving people patching
> advice.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>