[PD] [Gem] bit depth of display

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 21:24:26 CET 2022

On Thu, 2022-02-17 at 19:30 +0000, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> On 17/02/2022 17:59, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > the gradients between the
> > pixels shows edges that look like low bit depth (and probably are
> > due
> > low bit depth).
> No clue about high bit depth output. Possible workaround: a shader
> that
> does dithering could help mask the problem,

Oh, good idea. I didn't think of that.

>  that is if the OpenGL
> texture interpolation is not the source of the problem (hopefully
> it's
> done with floats, if not maybe you can do interpolation in the
> shader
> too after reading the texels without interpolation).  Check the
> OpenGL
> specification for GL_LINEAR magnification filter details, maybe it
> says
> how much precision is guaranteed.

My impression is that the OpenGL side is all 32bit float. I tried
'quality 1' to [pix_texture] which does (from what I see) linear
interpolation. And I also tried bicubic interpolation with a shader
written by Cyrille Henry from 2007. The shader code is using type vec4
internally and GLSL spec says that this is 32bit float [1].

Actually, since I'm already using a shader, I could try to add some
noise there. Not totally sure how this should be done, though.

> One thing you could do to diagnose is check pixel values of
> neighbouring
> bands to see if they are off by one (in which case suspect needing
> higher bit depth output) or more (in which case suspect OpenGL
> GL_LINEAR
> precision being insufficient).

Ok. I'll try to measure this.

Thanks for your input,