[PD] [Gem] bit depth of display

cyrille henry ch at chnry.net
Fri Feb 18 09:47:50 CET 2022

Le 17/02/2022 à 21:24, Roman Haefeli a écrit :

[...]

> My impression is that the OpenGL side is all 32bit float. I tried
> 'quality 1' to [pix_texture] which does (from what I see) linear
> interpolation. And I also tried bicubic interpolation with a shader
> written by Cyrille Henry from 2007. The shader code is using type vec4
> internally and GLSL spec says that this is 32bit float [1].

Computation is done with 32 bit float, but that does not mean that the result is stored as a 32 bit float...
The GPGPU example shows how to keep precision in texture (but not to render in high precision).

In your example, you only need the gem windows to be rendered in 10bits/color. Unfortunately, I don't thing there is flag or message to allow this for now. You should create a feature request.

As Claude says, adding dither is a good way to mask this problem.

cheers