[PD] why units per pixel: -1 by default on subpatches?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 00:18:26 CEST 2022

Em sáb., 2 de abr. de 2022 às 17:47, João Pais <jmmmpais at gmail.com>
escreveu:

> all the "units per pixel" values only affect data structure scalars.

Thanks for clarifying, here's another question: whenever we have "graph on
parent" checked, the units per pixels get grayed out and it seems that this
parameter is meaningless in this case, right? See ==>
http://msp.ucsd.edu/Pd_documentation/fig8.6.jpg

Just making it extremely sure, cause I want to document these things.

Now, in this case, if we want to plot data structures, we have to set the
proper range in "X range" and "Y Range". Now, this range is also only
meaningful for Data Strucutres, and regular arrays in Pd are Data
Structures scalars anyway... right?

So, in this case, when you create a subpatch and check the "graph on
parent" box, you get the "Y range" from -1 to 1. This seems to be the
correct order, where the first is the lower value, and the "X range" is in
fact the same, the first value is the lower "x value". Well, this plots
arrays and other scalars in the reverse order...

Now, if you put a "graph" or an "array" from the Put Menu or shortcuts, you
get a default "Y range" from 1 to -1 and this plots the array in a
meaningful way. But it is weird that the default is different for both
cases.

I haven't checked the code and I'm confused. The documentation is not
explicit. I'm guessing that the "Y range" is in fact from lower to higher
as in the "X range" but we need to swap this to plot arrays correctly. In
my view, this would be a bug, and related to the units per pixels issue.

The way I see it, if I create a subpatch and decide to make it a graph, it
should default to the same values as putting an array or a graph. And if
the values are inverted, I think the interface can be fixed by simply
swapping the boxes values under the hood. And the dialog can change to
reflect the changes and make it eplicity by including "lower" and "upper"
before the boxes.

As for units per pixels issue, it'd make sense that the range would default
to "1" for both, so it corresponds to how graphs work.

Am I making sense?

cheers