[PD] [GEM] RFC best practice: Video input/output on Linux and Windows and... Mac OS-X

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 29 14:41:49 CEST 2022

On 6/27/22 13:24, Winfried Ritsch wrote:

> A search brought up a fix:
>
> ( https://github.com/umlaeute/Gem/issues/257#issuecomment-1053999617 )::
[...]
> Which worked on Mac-OS
>
> But, when we share the patch with git repo for differen OSes,  everything turns
> out to be complicated... always apply the patch again ?
>
> So what is the best pratice to solve the issue in the patch that works on all
> OS ?

the [gemdefaultwindow] is an internal of Gem itself. consider it as a
(somewhat clumsy) way to configure the window backend for Gem (similar
to the audio dialog for you soundcard setup).

when sharing patches, you should not include Gem with it.
instead Gem should be pre-installed on the system (and be configured to
"work correctly").

if you follow this path, Gem can be upgraded independently (e.g. once
the window mess has been solved on macOS), and everybody will be happy.

gfmds
IOhannes