[PD] MIDI / STATUS_BYTE / noteOn - noteOff mesage

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 00:17:29 CEST 2022

Pd treats noteoff as a noteon with 0 velocity, hence the [stripnote] object, etc.

If you want to explicitly handle noteoff, you can look at the midi tester patch for working with raw bytes...

1. Help -> Browser...
2. Pure Data / 7.stuff / tools / miditester.pd
3. receive [pd channel messages]

> On Sep 27, 2022, at 9:56 PM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2022 17:42:15 +0200
> From: Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com <mailto:lorenzofsutton at gmail.com>>
> To: pd-list at lists.iem.at <mailto:pd-list at lists.iem.at>
> Subject: Re: [PD] MIDI / STATUS_BYTE / noteOn - noteOff mesage
>
> Hi,
>
> On 26/09/2022 20:43, Maurin Donneaud wrote:
>> Dear List
>>
>> Looking at the MIDI 1.0 documentation :
>> https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/table-2-expanded-messages-list-status-bytes <https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/table-2-expanded-messages-list-status-bytes>
>>
>> I notice that the MIDI NOTES are transmitted over three bytes
>> ??? byte 1 -> STATUS_BYTE [chan & function]
>> ??? byte 2 -> DATA_BYTE [note] (0-127)
>> ??? byte 3 -> DATA_BYTE [velocity] (0-127)
>>
>> I'm wandering if Pd have a simple object to extract the noteOn / noteOff
>> message from the STATUS_BYTE.
>
> I think you should be able with [midiin].
>
> Note that as per MIDI spec, 'note off' can be either an explicit 'note
> off' message also containing a 'release velocity' value or (more common)
> a note on with velocity equal to zero (for example this is how Pd does a
> note on/off if you use the [makenote] object.
>
> Lorenzo

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>