[PD] [random] and seed value

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 06:47:12 CET 2022

The fact that you don't get different seeds is arguably something to
mention in the help files.

One thing is that this is not a real feature as I see it, because you can't
really control the number of [random] objects that were created before
opening a particular patch.

On the other hand, I can't believe people do rely on a [random] object
giving the same output every time you open the patch. We have it in the
documentation that using 'seed' is what you need for this and this is the
only thing that can actually be done to guarantee the same sequence.

You can use externals like zexy's (ELSE also has [datetime] because someone
requested) but if yo're gonna have to use externals, you might just end up
using an external for a random number generator that has this function
built in it already, and ALL random/noise generators in ELSE do this.

Now, I believe Pd Vanilla's random number generators should have an actual
unpredictable seed and I already have a PR for this, see -->
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/1719

I don't think this will break anything but worst case scenario, we can have
those 'compatibilty flags' IOhaness is not much a fan of :)

Vanilla could also have something like [date]/[time] one way or another,
but adding it just for the case of managing seeds in [random] seems like a
bad idea to me.

cheers