[PD] Shared memory for [pd~] processes

Phil Stone pksmusic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 17:56:31 CET 2023

Hello everyone,

I’ve converted my old ‘polywavesynth’ to being able to spawn a new [pd~] process for its voice management, and that’s working really well. I can see the load spread to other cores for multiple synthesizers, and after working out some bugs, I’m really happy with this new capability.

I have another old synthesizer, ‘polygrainsynth’ I’d like to modify similarly. It has a large array which is displayed (and can be edited) in the top-level process. The array is used by the individual voices, which would be in a subprocess. Is there a way to share that array between the parent process and the sub-[pd~] process?

I searched the archives and found mention of ‘share-mem’ by Cyrille Henry back in 2012: https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2012-11/098714.html but I can’t find any other mention of it.

Best,

Phil

Phil Stone