[PD] Noise in bp-filter

William Brent william.brent at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 19:42:35 CET 2023

Hi Daniel,

Did you smooth the frequency changes with a [line~] object or something
else before sending to [vcf~]'s 2nd inlet? You can do the same to make
gradual transitions for Q changes, but since the Q inlet doesn't take a
signal you'll have to use [line] instead.

On Sat, Feb 18, 2023 at 8:19 AM Daniel Martin via Pd-list <
pd-list at lists.iem.at> wrote:

> Hello Peter, thanks for the help. Unfortunately it doesn't work with the
> [vcf~] object either. As you say, the problem is that I jump from a
> frequency to the next non-continuosly. Is there a way to do that without
> interrupting the signal and without noise?
>
> Daniel
>

> El viernes, 17 de febrero de 2023, 23:52:22 GMT+1, Peter P. <
> peterparker at fastmail.com> escribió:
>

> Daniel, can you try the [vcf~] object instead of [bp~]? The noise you
> hear most likely happens when you change the filter frequency
> non-continuously.
>
> * Daniel Martin via Pd-list <pd-list at lists.iem.at> [2023-02-17 20:15]:
> > Dear PD-Users,                         I'm having a problem with a patch
> that filters overtones from a sample. I use for that a bp filter. The
> center values for frecuency, Q and output volume are changed according to
> which overtone one wishes to hear. It is so configured, that one can select
> between overtones 3 to 17, pressing keys d, r, f, t, g, y, h, u, j, i, k,
> o, l, p and ñ (I have a spanish keyboard). The problem is when I want to
> change between overtones: one hears a noise. I solved that partially by
> reducing the output volume of the bp filter to 0, than changing the filter
> parameters values and then raising up the volume again to 1. That works
> only with adjacent overtones (for ex. overtone 3 to 4 or 3 to 5), but with
> larger jumps (for ex. 3 to 15), the noise comes again, the larger the jump,
> the stronger the noise.
> >
> >            I send attached the patch and a sample (Fagot). You need to
> open the sample ("open file" bang), select the third Vradio-square (Fagot,
> that sends specific Q and volume values for filtering this sample), then
> start the sample (key "a", it loops itself), then overtone selection (keys
> d, r, f, t...). The filter is in the suubpatch "Overtone_Filter". If you
> try for example changing from overtone 3 ("d") to 12 ("i") you'll hear a
> strong noise...
> >  I hope you can help me! I'll use this for a research on overtones
> effects on human health.
> > Greetings!Daniel Salva

William Brent

“Great minds flock together”
Conflations: conversational idiom for the 21st century

www.conflations.com