[PD] Pd complete listing of internal Pd messages? - sending to the Pd window

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Sun Apr 16 12:31:49 CEST 2023

> I have nothing much to say, but it appears that there has been some idea
recently that the "CPU" is a prime culprit if things don't work.

> I don't think so (esp if it boils down to a difference between AMD and
Intel, which are virtually the same for all things Pd does).

> A much more interesting difference would be the version of Pd and OS.
>
> If you do think the CPU is to blame, it would also help to specify the
exact CPU model (there's a difference between a good old i386 CPU from Intel
> and a Pentium III, but less so between modern Intel and AMD CPUs)
>
> That's not to say that the CPU information isn't important when hunting
down bugs.

> mfg.sfg.jfd
> IOhannes

I have 5 different AMD computer hardware versions from the lat 12 years
until now.
I'm running Debian 9.5 with Pd 0.49 on all of them. As a matter of fact I
use dd copies of the same drive.
I'm only loading a few hardware specific  files differently - like e.g.
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and /var/lib/alsa/asound state to get sound.

All testing has been done with the same system drive (or copy thereof) and
the same Pd software that is compatible in almost all cases.

There is e. g. no way to use xrandr "panning" on any of the AMD boards that
works flawlessly on Intel and ARM.
xrandr itself works fine for changing the screen size but not for panning.
AMD processors ignore commands which include  --panning.

I cannot find any information from Google on the internet about the
different behavior of these processors in terms of xrandr.
One person that I found after quite some time had the same issue wth AMD /
Intel on a forum and got no answer.

I was surprised that [pmenu] opens large dropdown menus within the screen on
AMD while they are opening directly on the mouse pointer on Intel or ARM.
Therefore on the latter two platforma the visibility might be incomplete.

While many things are identical on the Intel machines and AMD machines
certain things do behave differently.
All of my AMD computers crashed immediately when starting my patch with a
Gem created startup image.
I tried this on 5 different AMD computer hardwares.
There was no problem when doing the same thing on an Intel board with the
same system drive.
Even the Raspberry Pi 4 (which runs obviously on a different operating
system) had no issues with the code.

So these hardware platforms are definitely really close to each other but as
far as I can tell they are not identical.

Ingo

> On [pmenu] this seems to work on AMD machines it but does not work on
Intel or
Arm units.