[PD] maxlib on OSX version?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 14:10:21 CEST 2023

On Wed, 2023-09-20 at 13:09 +0200, Christof Ressi wrote:
> I hit the same problem when trying to run a project on a friend's M1
> MacBook. I have compiled "maxlib" and "mrpeach" for M1, but haven't
> bothered uploading it to Deken. Maybe I manage to do it tonight
> (before I forget again).

Both, maxlib and mrpeach, are not actively maintained anymore.

mrpeach was split into separate repos:
  * binfile
  * slip
  * osc
  * iemnet (forked from mrpeach/net) which is compatible and definitely
    more mature

From what I can tell, there isn't a simple replacement for maxlib, but
from what I remember, it doesn't really provide anything useful
nowadays.

@Raphael, since you seem to need osc from mrpeach, I advise you to
convert your patches to use the osc library directly. Even osc is not
strictly necessary nowadays since the introduction [oscformat] and
[oscparse] in Pd vanilla.

@Christof, while it is a nice effort to provice arm64/macOS builds of
mrpreach and maxlib, it also keeps the confusion about their
maintenance state alive. I, personally, prefer to rather keep things
clear and help people do the migration. At least, I believe that it is
more sustainable on the long run. Please consider my thoughts, but in
no way would I grant myself the authority to tell people what to do.

Roman