[PD] maxlib on OSX version?

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Wed Sep 20 16:15:35 CEST 2023

>  From what I can tell, there isn't a simple replacement for maxlib, but
> from what I remember, it doesn't really provide anything useful
> nowadays.

Personally, I have many projects that use [maxlib/gauss]. There is
probably a replacement *somewhere* but I didn't bother.

"mrpeach" also has [midifile], which I use regularly. Is there are good
(and stable) replacement object?

> @Christof, while it is a nice effort to provice arm64/macOS builds of
> mrpreach and maxlib, it also keeps the confusion about their
> maintenance state alive.

Someone might pick them up and start maintaining them (which has
happenend in the past). In fact, [mrpeach] has been maintained until
recently. (Martin Peach has passed away two years ago, sadly.)

In general, there is nothing wrong with making older library versions
available for newer platforms. After all, some projects pin their
dependencies to specific versions and don't want to risk updates, as
they might cause regressions.

>   I, personally, prefer to rather keep things clear and help people do the migration.

While I agree that *new* projects should probably try to migrate, there
are lots of *existing* projects that rely on these libraries. People
might want to run these existing projects on newer platforms, but they
can't afford or don't have the skills to migrate, so it would be nice if
the libraries were available on Deken.

Christof