[PD] maxlib on OSX version?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Sep 20 15:51:32 CEST 2023

On 9/20/23 14:47, rafael.raccuia at blindekinder.com wrote:
>   Thank you Christof, that would be great!
> In the meanwhile I try with iemnet and osc, but if tomorrow I can use
> the original patch again it's much better.
> So you confirm it's because of M1.

well, maxlib is available just fine for macOS, e.g.
<http://deken.puredata.info/info?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpuredata.info%2FMembers%2Ffjkraan%2Fsoftware%2Fmaxlib%2F1.5.8%2Fmaxlib%5Bv1.5.8%5D%28Darwin-amd64-32%29%28Darwin-i386-32%29%28Sources%29.dek>

as is mrpeach:
<http://deken.puredata.info/info?url=http%3A%2F%2Fpuredata.info%2FMembers%2Fmartinrp%2Fsoftware%2Fmrpeach%2F20200615%2Fmrpeach%5Bv20200615%5D%28Darwin-amd64-32%29%28Sources%29.dek>

this issue is, that these binaries are for macOS/intel, and you have a
macOS/Arm: so yes, all this is "because of M1".

apart form the already given solutions (replace these old libraries with
something modern; wait for some kind soul to provide M1 binaries; ...)
there i can think of two more options:

1. you can run Pd through Rosetta to emulate an Intel machine.
this will allow you to use the existing macOS/Intel binaries.
of course, performance is worse than when using native binaries, but
that might not be a problem.

2. you could install linux on your Mac (e.g. Debian/bananas)¹

gfsadr
IOhannes

¹ and while i hate to admit it, currently this might not be the best
option; e.g. i do not know whether Debian/bananas manages to do more
than just booting the system :-P