[PD] MPE in Pd Vanilla?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 23:43:55 CEST 2023

I'm finally trying to get a hold of what the deal is with MIDI
Polyphonic Expression, which is hard because I have no modern controller
that uses it. So one question is does anyone know of a nice free open
source software that can format, send and receive MPE so I can test some
things?

Now, only external I found in the wild was
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/issues/2117 and I'm trying to check
it to see how things work.

And now for the real subject. I know Pd can get MPE data from raw midi and
even specialized objects like [ctlin], but that doesn't seem to me like the
"real deal", even though I'm aware my knowledge is limited. I am thinking
about  a new external for ELSE, but it really looks like Vanilla should
handle this. My point and idea is that Pd should better deal with it
natively, whatever that actually means, I cannot put things in details
yet... for reference, what I can say is that MAX has mpeparse and mpeformat
objects, and I figure that Pd should also have something like that, by the
way, I also opened an issue on github, see
https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/issues/2117

what do you peple say?

cheers