[PD] Pd-list Digest, Vol 225, Issue 2

Yann Seznec yann at yannseznec.com
Mon Dec 4 10:55:32 CET 2023

Hello Joseph and everyone,

Thanks for the very helpful feedback. I have copied your setup as closely as possible, and the situation seems much improved. I did two things:

- install the 32 bit RPi OS 11 Bullseye Full Version on my Raspberry Pi 4. I believe I may have been installing the 64 bit version previously.
- compiled Pure Data from source in order to get v 0.54.1 as you described.

So far in my first tests I have been able to run a granular patch without any crashes. I also no longer need to specify the audio device in the startup command. Pd will still occasionally print the same error "restart alsa output alsa xrun recovery apparently failed”, but it doesn’t seem to matter. Most of the time it seems to only print it once on launch.

Changing the OS and the Pd build at the same time was not a good way to determine exactly what the problem was, of course! So I have not yet found an explanation but this is a promising way forward. It feels likely that the 64 bit OS was the problem. If I figure out any more details I will post them here.

As a side note, perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me could update the version of Pd that is currently accessible from apt-get? I didn't mind compiling from source but it is pretty handy to be able to just do apt-get when setting up a new Pi.

Merci beaucoup,

Yann