[PD] alsa crashing on recent Pi OS (was Re: Pd-list Digest, Vol 225, Issue 4)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 4 21:39:51 CET 2023

On 12/4/23 21:17, Yann Seznec wrote:

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> On 04.12.23 10:55, Yann Seznec wrote:> As a side note, perhaps someone
>>> more knowledgeable than me could update
>>
>> i'm not sure i understand the question here.
>>
>> you can always get the version of Pd by just running 'pd -version' (if
>> you still have the "puredata-core" package installed, run '/usr/bin/pd
>> -version' to not accidentally run your self-compiled one.
>
> I am very likely not understanding how these things work, or explaining myself correctly!
>
> What I was trying to say was that it would be great if running the command “sudo apt-get install puredata” could install the latest version of Pd (0.54.1) on Pi OS. As far as I can tell, running that command currently installs v0.51.4.

indeed, this is not how it works.

Linux distributions such as Debian, Ubuntu, Raspberry Pi OS, and many
others have a notion of "stable releases". Once a given version of these
distros is released, software packages are no longer updated.
So if you were using Debian/sarge (which was released in 2005) *today*,
and you run 'apt-get update; apt-get install puredata' you will get
Pd-0.38-4, as this was the current Pd version when Debian/sarge was
released.
If you are running Debian/bullseye (which was released in 2021) *today*,
and you run 'apt-get update; apt-get install puredata' you will get
Pd-0.51-4, as this was the current Pd version when Debian/bullseye was
released (and yes: Raspberry Pi OS 11 is based on Debian/bullseye).

this is a feature, not a bug

> Perhaps this is because I am running an older Pi -  32 bit OS 11 on a Pi 3. In any case I compiled Pd myself in order to get the latest version.

So, if you want a new version of Pd, run a new version of Raspberry Pi
OS. E.g. RPiOS 12 (based on Debian/bookworm) ships with Pd-0.53-1.
RPiOS 13 (based on Debian/trixies) ships with Pd>=0.54

gfmdsar
IOhannes