[PD] help needed: "conditional" help patches

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Tue Dec 5 22:00:42 CET 2023

Hi,

I have a library with /optional /multi-channel support. If you try to
create the object with the "-m" flag and Pd does not have multi-channel
support, it would print an error message. This works all fine, but
there's a tricky problem with the help patches. Of course, I want to
document the multi-channel feature, but I don't want the help patch to
print errors when loaded in older Pd versions.

The only solution I see at the moment is to have two version of the help
patch and then register the appropriate version in the setup function
with "class_sethelpsymbol". However, this would be a maintenance
nightmare. Also, the help patches would obviously need to have different
names, so only one of them would match the name of the object.

Has anyone run into a similar situation? Any ideas?

Christof