[PD] Latency question (non-audio/midi/osc)

Christof Ressi info at christofressi.com
Mon Dec 11 14:29:12 CET 2023

> Is it (still) the case that Pd's midi buffer is connected/synced with
> the audio buffer? (Sorry if any terminology incorrect).
Yes, MIDI messages are artificially delayed to match the additional
latency caused by the ringbuffer (see "Delay" entry in audio settings
resp. "-audiobuf" command line option).

At least in my scheduler-fix branch
(https://github.com/pure-data/pure-data/pull/1756), this does not happen
with "callbacks" enabled. However, this does not really help as you
would typically need to use a larger hardware buffer size (confusingly
called "blocksize") - which would again increase MIDI latency - and also
increase MIDI jitter!

It would be great if the MIDI delay could be disabled globally, or even
better - on a per-object or per-event basis! Would you mind opening a
feature request on GitHub?

Christof