[PD] help needed: "conditional" help patches

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 11 16:10:54 CET 2023

On 12/11/23 16:04, Christof Ressi wrote:

> Interesting. The big disadvantage is that the roles are reversed: what
> should be a subpatch is now the root window, so when the user tries to
> close it, it closes the whole help patch... So I guess I'd rather prefer
> my current solution.

totally. i was just trying to come up with alternative solutions.

> But thanks for your input!

so how about that one:
your object could do some context-check, and suppress the error message
when it is invoked in a help patch.
(the simplest check would just be whether the filename of the containing
patch ends with "-help.pd"; alternatively you could embed some magic
string in your help patch (on patch-level) and suppress the error only
if this string is (also) present.