[PD] [PD-announce] New Externals for the SoundScape Renderer + ASDF external

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 18:44:52 CET 2024

> Which basically means, that the `libfftw3f.3.dylib` shipped with the SSR externals was built for a newer version of macOS.
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/77380844
>
> many workflows (including mine) use brew to provide build- and runtime-dependencies.
> Unfortunately, brew (like Apple) only support the last three macOS releases.
> It's not so trivial to get bottled binaries of your dependencies with am extended life cycle (so you do not have to rebuild the world in your ci/cd system).

Yeah, I have avoided trying to distribute libraries from Homebrew for this reason. Luckily the libs I routinely use don;t have a tone of dependencies so it's easier to just build them manually, as needed.

> Personally (in my projects, so unrelated to SSR), I'm more and more inclined to just tell people that if they want to stick with their shiny apples, they need to play by apple's rules.
> Luckily, I'm not entirely convinced yet (but it's increasingly hard to reason why unpaid freelance volunteers should invest time and money to keep things from breaking, where those who get the big money are not concerned at all)

To be fair, OS X / macOS used to ship with many libraries + Python, Tcl/Tk, Perl, etc etc but everyone complained that they were always out of date, so Apple has been removing the built-in stuff except for required environments. Can't please everyone and I *suspect* projects like Homebrew have contributions from many of the 3rd-party companies benefitting from it's existence.

That being said, I was recently bitten by current home-brew now dropping support for macOS version before 12.0. That is *totally* on the brew project and not on Apple. To be fair to them, it's also hard to test and deploy newer libs on many various older systems, so they decided to free stuff. For my recent project I had to then update laptops to new version macOS versions just to be abel to run my simple Python3 + Tkinter app, oh well.

--------
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>