[PD] hid objects on linux/mac/win? hidraw on linux? hidraw parsing?

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Tue Mar 12 17:45:55 CET 2024

Dear list,

I am trying to bring my knowledge of hid-related objects up to date for all
three OSes.

On Linux I can install [hid] 0.7 via Deken and use it as a normal user
as a member of the 'input' users group.

On Linux I can install [hidraw] 0.1.0 via Deken. The external loads
without errors, but I am not getting any response clicking the
"listdevices" message.

On OS X there is [hid] 0.7.3 thanks to Albert.
Colleagues have tried to find [hid] for their newer apple cpu's
without success unless they start Pd under the Rosetta emulation and
install Albert's amd64-32 package.
Interestingly there exists a hid Deken package for Darwin-arm64-32
http://deken.puredata.info/library/hid/0.1.0
but it is not displayed in Pd's built-in search engine on OS X as far as
I can remember (maybe someone can check this?).

On Windows there is only [hidraw], correct?

General question:
What would be a reason to prefer [hidraw] over [hid]?
How do I parse the output of [hidraw]?

Thank you for any replies!
best, Peter