[PD] hid objects on linux/mac/win? hidraw on linux? hidraw parsing?

Lucas Cordiviola lucarda27 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 12 23:09:46 CET 2024

On 12/03/2024 13:45, Peter P. wrote:
> On Linux I can install [hidraw] 0.1.0 via Deken. The external loads
> without errors, but I am not getting any response clicking the
> "listdevices" message.

### about [hidraw] ###

strange "listdevices" works for me on Debian (10, 11, 12). Perhaps you
tested it on a machine without any HID compatible device?.

note that to use the devices you must be a "member of the 'input' users
group" (or if you want a quick test run Pd as root via `sudo pd`).

> How do I parse the output of [hidraw]?

the help patch is plain simple. [hidraw] just outputs a list of floats.

Windows: for OS's security measures you can't access any 'mouse' or
'keyboard' (gamepads or joysticks will work out-of-the-box).

in general: [hidraw] is rather simple and raw compared to eg. [hidio].
you might find [hidraw] unsuitable for your purposes.

> On Windows there is only [hidraw], correct?

there is also [hidio]
https://deken.puredata.info/results.html?name=hidio by Martin Peach.