[PD] Add to documentation: makenote accepts lists in its leftmost inlet

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 19:15:06 CET 2024

Em qui., 14 de mar. de 2024 às 14:20, Peter P. <peterparker at fastmail.com>
escreveu:

> From: Miller Puckette <mpuckette at cloud.ucsd.edu>
> Perhaps the ones that manage lists specially
> should be flagged as not distributing lists among inlets.

that is indeed the case, [spigot] for instance passes lists and 'anythings'.

I opened an issue here https://github.com/pure-data/pddp/issues/187 and
MIller also replied and I quote and bring it back to this thread "*line and
line~ (and I think vline~) also do non-standard list distribution - the
ramp-time inlet resets to zero after each segment is started.  That's why
list-input behavior needs to be described explicitly.  "Normal" objects
like makenote don't reset inlets. BUT I guess it's still true that sending
a list to line, etc., is still equivalent to distributing the values over
the inlets, in the same way as for all the normal objects.  The
not-quite-standardness is in the way the middle inlet itself acts.*"

The special 'clearing' behaviour of inlets in the line family is well
explained in the help file and I see it as totally equivalent to other
cases where lists are spread over inlets.

Em qui., 14 de mar. de 2024 às 14:17, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
escreveu:

> i'm still very reluctant about adding the same and the same information
> to every object that just exhibits standard behaviour, as this quickly
> becomes noise. ("hey, did you know that you can connect this object to
> [print]?")

I don't mean to add this to *all*, and in some cases would be rather silly,
like [float]. And now I remembered of another object that "abuses" this
behaviour in the help files, [stripnote], but not all too explicitly, Maybe
there's one or another more...

I use this for math objects usually, for instance. And in fact, not by
chance I guess, a math object was used to show this behaviour in
(04.messages.pd). This can save someone from using [unpack] sometimes. I
feel this is little known and people miss it or get confused.

I've also seen this occasionally "abused" in the help files of MAX; take
[offer] for instance, and this is also true for [cyclone/offer]'s help
file.

I also wanted to add an abstraction loaded under the [pd reference]
subpatches that would be a 'guide' to better understand things as described
in my reference subpacthes. My idea was to also reinforce this behaviour,
because I consciously chose not to put into the references that 'list'
input would eventually work. So I understand the idea of not reinforcing
this all the time and for every case, but there are some examples in the
help patch that can benefit from this and it wouldn't pollute too much, in
fact, it's already happening.

cheers