[PD] disable mouse pointer (with xinput?) on os x?

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Mon Mar 25 08:24:17 CET 2024

Hi list,

is there a way to disable the mouse pointer for a specific HID on os x? I want
to use an external usb mouse with [hidraw] without having it act as a
mouse pointer in the user interface.

On Debian/GNU Linux I can achieve this with xinput in the following way:

List all X input devices
        xinput --list
filter for numeric ID of "USB Optical Mouse"
        xinput --list | grep "USB Optical Mouse" | cut -d "=" -f 2 | cut -f 1
get the number for the "Device Enabled" parameter of that mouse
        xinput --list-props `xinput --list | grep "USB Optical Mouse" | cut -d "=" -f 2 | cut -f 1`
which in my case is 164. Then change its value to 0 or back to 1
        xinput --set-prop `xinput --list | grep "USB Optical Mouse" | cut -d "=" -f 2 | cut -f 1` 164 0
        xinput --set-prop `xinput --list | grep "USB Optical Mouse" | cut -d "=" -f 2 | cut -f 1` 164 1

It seems xinput is (was?) available via MacPorts.
https://ports.macports.org/port/xinput/
I don't have an os x box to test this right now and am wondering if
anyone has already done this.

Thanks for any hints!
Peter