[PD-ot] Art: To GPL or not to GPL?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 16 13:24:02 CET 2003

Hallo,

> My one issue is how to prevent unscrupulous use of work that is
> released freely.

You know this: The catch in the GPL to prevent unscrupulous use is,
that all derived works have to be GPL again (the "Share Alike" in some
CC licenses). So even if someone takes your work and builds upon it
(which is something you probably want to encourage), it will flow back
into the free code or art world.

If you want attribution as well, there are ways to ensure this,
in the CC Attribution license this is made very clear, but I guess,
this is possible with GPL'd work as well.

ciao