[PD-ot] Art: To GPL or not to GPL?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 16 18:55:47 CET 2003

On Tuesday, Dec 16, 2003, at 13:24 Europe/Brussels, Frank Barknecht
wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> My one issue is how to prevent unscrupulous use of work that is
>> released freely.
>
> You know this: The catch in the GPL to prevent unscrupulous use is,
> that all derived works have to be GPL again (the "Share Alike" in some
> CC licenses). So even if someone takes your work and builds upon it
> (which is something you probably want to encourage), it will flow back
> into the free code or art world.
>
> If you want attribution as well, there are ways to ensure this,
> in the CC Attribution license this is made very clear, but I guess,
> this is possible with GPL'd work as well.

No, the GPL specifically does not have an attribution clause because of
the problems that such a clause caused with the BSD license.  RMS is in
fact opposed to attribution clauses, and I agree totally for software
projects.  For software, attribution clauses give a minor benefit to
the authors, but with major problems.  Imagine if RedHat had to give
credit in all of their materials (books, software boxes, ads, etc.) to
every person who has contributed to RedHat GNU/Linux? It would be
totally unmanagable.  Also, if they left someone out, they could be
sued for damages.

But with parts of art projects that are not 'tools' (i.e. the score,
etc.), the reasons for attribution clauses might be compelling enough
to warrant their use.  But you could take the example of music built
with samples to be a similar case as with RedHat.  Looking say 20 years
into the future, where art is made from samples of samples of
samples..., then the attribution list is going to be in the thousands,
if not more.  This is the problem with attribution clauses that makes
them almost as bad as regular copyrights in the long run; you would
have to spend so much time/money to make sure you are giving all of the
correct attributions.

I bring up this issue because I want to expand the idea of copyleft as
far as it can go.  I believe that is a much better model that what
exists today.   I just want to try to make a living doing the work that
I am inspired to do.  Hopefully these two things can coexist.

____

                     There is no way to peace, peace is the way.
										-A.J. Muste