[PD-ot] OS/PD/HD BACKUP + PD LIVE OS

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Sun Feb 19 20:10:47 CET 2006

Le 19 Février 2006 05:32, vous avez écrit :
> well,
> strange...
> first you said you made your livecd with pd and librairies and then you
> don't want to redistributed... for good reason (non-free stuff in it)
> and in the same time you said you need this non-free software to have a
> descent multimedia linux system...

I don't have to redistribute a collection of software that most of us can
download and use legally (where its allowed). I added non-free software in
my livecd mostly to support proprietary video formats, dvd decoding, Java
applets, recent ATI and nVidia video cards and other things. This custom
livecd is not a technological breakthrough, and it's not available for good
reasons.

> I am not at all agree, I do all my
> works (audio, video, printing, 3D...) since 3/4 years under linux, you
> have to be carefull about some hardware, but without that all what you
> want to do under multimedia could be realize without too much problem.

I agree with you. But I created a livecd so it can run on many PC hardware,
not as a "we can be free forever" statement; I leave this exercice to the
DyneBolic team. I could definitely remove all non-free software from my
livecd, but that was not my goal.

> feel very inconfortable with those people that used linux for their
> works and that they always spit on it. I use different distros for my
> works (mix video, interactive installation, audio pro recording, live
> music, printing, website...etc) without one non-free software. So I
> affirme here, you could have a descent multimedia linux system without
> any stupid non-free software.

Again, I agree with you. I also feel very unconfortable with stupid non-free
software. I also do most of my work with free software. But I needed a
livecd with non-free software , nd that might happen again from time to
time.

> Why don't you try to custom your distro without any non-free software,
> it could help everyone, show that we could have another option with
> kanotix to work with multimedia!!! and specially a puredata customed!
>
> Agnula : http://agnula.org
> Apodio : http://www.apodio.org
> Dynebolic : http://www.dynebolic.org
> PLanet CCRMA : http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

I know about those distributions. I agree with their agenda. I tried them
all. But I don't have the budget of the Agnula team (millions or euros, all
gone), I don't have the bandwidth to host iso images, the time to create a
spify web site, marketing resources, help from friends, or a salary from a
U.S. university. I just created one livecd with non-free software, like
many people do. And if I ever build a new one with only free software, I
might not even mention it...
--
Marc