[PD-ot] how low (latency) can you go?

Bryan Jurish moocow at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Dec 16 19:14:03 CET 2006

On 2006-12-16 19:02:08, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> appears to
have written:
> And always, when talking about latency, I feel the need to point out the
> speed of sound: 340 m/s or .34 m/ms.  So if your speakers are 2m away
> from you, that's 6ms of latency.  You could spend days tweaking your
> machine to get 3ms less latency, or you could move 1m closer to your
> speakers.  Puts things into perspective...

indeed 'tis true.  but 5ms vs. 10ms makes a major subjective/perceptual
difference if we're talking about playing an electro-acoustic instrument
in and getting a munged signal out...

marmosets,
	Bryan

--
Bryan Jurish                           "There is *always* one more bug."
jurish at ling.uni-potsdam.de      -Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology