[PD-ot] BSD license

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Fri Nov 30 14:56:53 CET 2007

Hi,

I have question about PD's BSD-style license.

Basically the LICENSE.txt file distributed with the PD sources talks
about "Redistribution and use in source and binary forms", which applies
to "all files associated with the software unless explicitly disclaimed
in individual files". However, it isn't explicit about the use of small
'portions' of code, as the GPL is. For example, if I were take a piece
of functionality from PD, e.g. the phasor~ code, and use it in another
program, what would my obligations be with regard to the BSD license? It
would seem inappropriate to reproduce the copyright notice in PD's
license verbatim, since using the phrase "This software is
copyrighted..." would imply that the copyright notice applied to the
entirety of the software, rather than the small snippet taken from the
PD sources. Perhaps a prominent phrase along the lines of "This software
contains portions of code Copyright Miller Puckette", would be more
appropriate? ... but then that would seem not to comply with the BSD...

Is there some kind of accepted practice with this? Advice or experience
anyone?

TIA,

Jamie

--