[PD-ot] [PD] Real Time Kernel Debian

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jul 16 12:17:17 CEST 2008

Ede Cameron wrote:
> On 15-Jul-08, at 3:13 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Ede Cameron wrote:
>>>   Okay after my third attempt and second complete re-install..
>>> does  any-one have links, suggestions about installing a real time
>>> kernel.
>>
>> 1 are you absolutely sure you need a real-time kernel or do you
>> just think so, because this word keeps buzzing around? have you
>> tried a _recent_ kernel instead (>=2.6.24), imho they have fairly
>> good behaviour
>        Need was never my motivation. Perhaps more a "how-to" motivation.

well, that's a good one

>> 2 are you building your kernel with initrd support; you really
>> should do so when re-using an upstream kernel configuration, as
>> most of the kernel-drivers are built as modules and you will want
>> to load them in order to access (e.g.) your harddisk (to load
>> further modules!); you have to add the "--initrd" to make-kpk
>       Yes I think my kernel build is right and I used --initrd. My
> problem now lies more in yaboot which only recognizes two operating
> systems Mac Os X and linux. There is no grub boot. So there is no
> option to boot into different kernel versions only operating systems
> But with --initrd does this mean I could disable the original kernel
> in "/boot" and only boot the rt custom kernel?

hmm, i have no experiences with yaboot at all.
but wouldn't it be possible to use yaboot to boot into grub to put into
whatever (linux) you want? (kind of "chainloader")

initrd will not help you with your bootloader (but with the drivers
needed to bring up your system)
anyhow, you will have to tell your bootloader to tell the kernel to use
the initrd file; search the net for "yaboot+initrd" and you should get
some hints on how to do it.
finally, afaiu you could use the yaboot prompt to try out things before
locking yourself out of the machine permanently (but you probably know that)

fgmasdr
IOhannes