[Pdweb] Re: pure-data wiki -- permissions and spam

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Sep 5 12:18:25 CEST 2006

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> the best solution would probably be a "proof that you are no spam-bot"
>> check-box or password or...
>>
>> i haven't found something yet which fullfills this (preferrably as
>> plone-product)
>
> Because I also had comment-spammers on my site, I wrote a silly spam
> protection which randomly asks if you're a spammer or if you are no
> spammer and also randomly gives different default answers. This has
> stopped the spam so far, but of course it's a rather naive "solution",
> which can be circumvented easily if a spammer is desperate enough.

well: your "solution" is what i had in mind. there is nothing that
cannot be circumvented if a spammer really wants to have their saying.
even the captcha thing does not help you, if a spammer is a human and
not a bot.

the not-so-good thing with your approach is (imho), that the checkbox
always has to default to the "wrong" answer, which makes it simple to
guess the "right" answer.
having 2 checkboxes, where _at least_ one has checked the wrong answer
would make it more foolproof - at the cost of a real annoyance when
using the system :-(

mf.asdr.
IOhannes