[GEM-dev] how close are we...

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sat Jul 19 22:42:29 CEST 2003

To getting a final release out the door?

I have recently completed the major points on my code check-list for
a functional release:

- pix_write works on OSX
- pix_film will load both YUV and RGB films using the 'colorspace 0/1' message
- pix_video switches color-spaces on the fly using the same
'colorspace 0/1' message
- texturing is now assured the fastest path (though the code is fugly)
- most of the useful yuv_ objects are now in pix_
- just about every pix_ object does YUV (not the latest commits from Jamie tho)
- enough Altivec code is in place to make a difference (still need to do RGB)
- overall performance on OSX seems acceptable

Some things are still on the list:

- full scene motion-blur using render to texture
- whole list of pix_ objects (color-correction and analysis in particular)
- a Quicktime .mov recording object
- a few more yuv_ to pix_ conversions (luma_key)
- various tweaks and tunings

What does everyone else's TODO list look like right now?

Some of the documentation still remains.  Both example and help
patches are lacking, and I would like to do more tutorials and get
that included in the distribution.

Stability seems pretty good recently on the OSX side, how are the
other platforms running?

On a somewhat related note, I have been researching some of the
latest developments with vertex-arrays, texturing and shaders, and
think that GEM could take advantage of these.  It might require a lot
of reworking of the render chain to make it happen.  I will post more
on this later.

cgc