[GEM-dev] Some hints for external on osx

Pierre Laborde pedro.laborde at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 1 21:32:27 CET 2005

Hi dear list,

I am using GEM for several months for my own experimentation and some
artists friends.
I've tried to do a GEM external on OSX but I've failed.
I've used the same process that works on Linux, and I've ended with
similar results to the ones Sebastian posted on the list few days ago
(see Sebastian's message at the end of this message).

If someone has by the past succeeded in making an external on OSX,
could he help Sebastian and I ? Do we forgot a fundamental step ?

By the way, as a workaround, I was thinking in compiling the whole GEM
from the Xcode project file that comes with the GEM source. But I miss
the GemLibs folder that is available only for NT and Linux. Where could
I find GemLibs for OSX ?

In advance, thank you very much for any help or any suggestion.

Pierre

____
Sebastian's message:

Hello,

i am pretty new to PD and GEM but i love it and i want to use it form
some
project i am going to work on.
so, lets get to the point. i have to write an external for PD which
uses GEM
to make some image processing. i managed to write a simple external for
PD which was not very hard. but i could not yet get a GEM external up
and running.
i am working on macosx and windows.

my latest work ended up in a lot of unresolved externals while PD is
trying to
load my external. i simply took the pix_blur class, changed it
minimally and
tried to compile it using the following lines:

g++ -o pix_myblur.o -c pix_myblur.cpp -I../src
g++ -bundle -undefined suppress -flat_namespace -o pix_myblur.pd_darwin
pix_myblur.o

running "./pd  -lib Gem -lib pix_myblur" results in the following:

dyld: ./pd Undefined symbols:
__ZN11imageStruct5clearEv
__ZN7GemBase11setModifiedEv
__ZN7GemBase17obj_setupCallbackEP6_class
__ZN7GemBase17realStopRenderingEv
__ZN7GemBaseD2Ev
__ZN9CPPExtern16setCPPObjectNameEPc
__ZN9CPPExtern8m_holderE
__ZN9GemPixObj10postrenderEP8GemState
__ZN9GemPixObj12processImageER11imageStruct
__ZN9GemPixObj14setPixModifiedEv
__ZN9GemPixObj15processRGBImageER11imageStruct
__ZN9GemPixObj17obj_setupCallbackEP6_class
__ZN9GemPixObj6renderEP8GemState
__ZN9GemPixObjC2Ev
__ZTV9GemPixObj
__ZnwmPvS_
Trace/BPT trap

well, what did i forget? if somebody has a little makefile or hint, i
would be
very thankful. how can i load the Gem.pd_darwin symbols in my external,
or do i have to do it?
Thank you in advance.

Sebastian