[GEM-dev] Re: [PD] GEM Linux and video codecs

Etienne Desautels titi at sat.qc.ca
Thu Jun 2 18:50:21 CEST 2005

IOhannes and Günter, thanks for your fast answer, as usual.

This afternoon I'll try to recompile Gem with the advice of IOhannes.
If it still doesn't work, I'll be glad to test your deb package
Güenter. I'll keep you inform of my findings.

On 05-06-02, at 07:34, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Etienne Desautels wrote:
>> Hi list,
>> So here's my questions. I tried to compile Gem with FFMPEG support
>> and it always fail in one manner or another. Or it doesn't build at
>> all, or it build but when I load Gem I got this error message
>> (undefined symbol: ogg_stream_init   Gem: can't load library), or
>> everything seems OK but
>
> hmm, are you using the CVS version of Gem ?
> there are some better linking options in the CVS-version (basically it
> adds the output of "ffmpeg-config --plugin-libs" which adds more
> libraries than just libavcodec and libavformat)
> if not, you will probably have to add these flags by hand:
> "-lavformat_pic -lavcodec_pic -lvorbis -lvorbisenc -ldts_pic -la52"
>
>> Also, what I would really prefer is to had support in Gem for
>> LibMPEG2. Do you think it could be difficult to do ? Is it about
>> creating a filmMPEG2.cpp and filmMPEG2.h files with the good function
>> calls to the library and add the reference into the pix_filmNEW.cpp ?
>
> correct.
> if you like to add libMPEG2-support you are welcome!

I would like to test the performance of FFMPEG in Gem before and if
there's not a big difference I'll use FFMPEG. But if I didn't get
satisfaction with FFMPEG, I will had the support for LibMPEG2 as it
doesn't look to complicated to do.

>> One last thing, I was not able to use FSAA. My video card is an ATI
>> 9600 and I'm using the binary driver with x.org. I put the lines to
>> enable FSAA in my X86-config-4 file without any success. Any ideas ?
>
> sorry, no experience with Xorg

No problem.

> mfg.as.dr
> IOhannes