[GEM-dev] TextBase class

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Sep 5 00:30:17 CEST 2005

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> I think this mostly affects [print]. There are possibly other limitations
> of length in Pd but those limits are very high -- at least much longer
> than the classic limit of 255 characters per symbol in MAX :-}

Actually, the limit is currently 999, as you can see in m_pd.h

#define MAXPDSTRING 1000

But this can be modified to some other higher value. However, externals
have to be recompiled for this change to take effect.

Also, some externals may ignore that value, and part of the pd core does.
Here's the patch I tested it with (using -lib gridflow):

[bang}

[#in r001.jpg]

[# || 1]

[#export_symbol]

[#import (240 320 3)]

[#out window]

and then when you bang the thing you see a picture appearing, and you can
verify that the image has really been converted to a symbol.

The [# || 1] simply replaces all zeroes by ones, because symbols can't
contain 0, which are reserved for terminating strings.