{Spam?} Re: Gem sucking whole CPU for no visible reason... intermitently WAS Re: [GEM-dev] Re: [PD-dev] oprofile - streamlining Pd/gem patch

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Wed May 17 18:23:52 CEST 2006

On 5/17/06, B. Bogart <ben at ekran.org> wrote:

> 20 instances of the same abstraction:
> (these are counts of the totals for the whole patch)
> 40 gemheads
> 100 pix_texture
> 120 rectangle
> 20 pix_buffer
> 60 pix_buffer_read
> 20 pix_buffer_write
> 160 translate
> 80 scale
> 20 color
> 40 alpha
> 160 separator

That many separators will likely stall the GPU quite a bit since that
basically resets the rendering pipeline.  That many pix_texture objects
constantly uploading textures will also stall in the driver on Linux and
Windows (your patch would probably go like 0.2 fps on Windows).

I really have no idea how the nv driver works, what your saying tells me
> that each gem GL function should execute a function in the nvidia driver.
> But since the driver is closed source without symbols would there be any
> way of getting those calls?

The profiler will take note of any memory location in the driver that takes
time and then it should also keep track of what calls lead up to it.  So if
you do a glColor4f() in GEM that will make the driver do something with that
call.

The symbols in the driver aren't all that important unless there is a bug to
alert Nvidia about.

attached is the patch, though it depends on pix_video uses in a weird way,
> and my serial control camera

A  Pan/Tilt/Zoom camera?

cgc