[GEM-dev] ./configure: line 8733: pkg-config: command not found

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jun 1 17:13:41 CEST 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> So in the auto-builds, the FTGL part of configure gives this error:
>
> checking linux/videodev.h usability... no
> checking linux/videodev.h presence... no
> checking for linux/videodev.h... no
> ./configure: line 8733: pkg-config: command not found
> checking for PKG_FTGL_CFLAGS...
> checking for PKG_FTGL_LIBS...
> checking for ftgl-config... yes
> checking for main in -lftgl... no
>
> When I run the build from a login shell, it works fine:

> I think I found the source of the problem.  My guess is that the Gem
> autoconf system relies on the environment's path.  From my
> experience, all of the needed environment variables should be
> included in configure.ac so that the configure will.  In this case
> pkg-config is in /sw/bin/pkg-config (Mac OS X does not include pkg-
> config).  If a line something like this was added near the top of
> configure.ac, I think it would work:
>
> PATH="${PATH}:/sw/bin"

i don't know;

does the ftgl-package provide pkg-config files for ftgl at all?
(don't worry if not)

Gem uses pkg-config if it can find it; if it doesn't find pkg-config, it
will try to use <package>-config (e.g. "ftgl-config"); if this fails too
  it will use defaults or at least respect the PKG_<package>_(CFLAG|LIB)S

nevertheless, it is interesting why the configure finds "ftgl-config"
but still fails to load ftgl. (i guess linking against libftgl fails
because configure doesn't automatically link against freetype2 too if
not told (e.g. by ftgl-config).

i don't think it is a good idea to add arbitrary paths to configure.ac
(but i will have to read the literature on how to handle this)

mfg.asdr