[GEM-dev] Can't play transparent videos

Antoine Villeret antoine.villeret at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 23:55:49 CEST 2020

> that's why there's a plugin system for Gem.
> however, it seems you have created a fork of Gem, rather than just
> create a new filmMPV external.

afaik film* plugin return a pix object while the power of mpv resides in
writing directly to texture (and the use of GPU texture decoding)
that's why film* plugin doesn't seem to be a good way to me, but I might be
wrong

and no, I didn't create a whole fork of Gem, I only modified the
gemframebuffer object from which mpv derives
and I didn't remember why I needed to modify it.
mpv builds with a quite recent Gem version (my docker image uses the master
branch of https://github.com/umlaeute/Gem.git but I didn't rebuild the
image on each run).

At some point, I thought about creating a new kind of plugin that writes to
texture (and also another kind to read from)
but to be honest, Gem's plugin system always appeared quite obscure to me.

+