[PD-dev] pure-data CVS

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.kug.ac.at
Fri Aug 9 12:53:00 CEST 2002

Hallo,

 > This is a nice idea and somehow it brings up the question of
 > namespaces again. I can think of external names, "foo" is in fact a
 > good example, that might be used in several places. We should of course
 > avoid such name clashes, and maybe a mechanism developed for
 > pure-data.sf.net can be a testbed for namespaces. But I have no idea,
 > how such an architecture is best defined...

We tried to solve this problems some time ago and therefore made the
Pure Data Base, where all names should be listed and (We did it for our
libraries), if somebody is developping an external he can look if the
name exist. This princip needs some disciplin to enter data
there: http://pd.iem.at/pdb/

We think about extenting the interface, where every one can make
entries by himself (user passwd for owned externals) and where he can
reservate some name(space), (for a certain amount of time, when no
release in this time the name will be freed again), also the status of
the object can be listed there, ...

... but we should make some rules like every name of a library should
have an unique prefix and prefixes can be reservated like names...

...maybe this could be done via some webinterfaces on several sites
using an central database.

mfg winfried