[PD-dev] separating the debian package building

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 18 19:07:12 CET 2004

I would like to separate the debian package building so that each
package is built separately.  There are a couple touchy packages in
there that never build for me without a fair amount of fiddling and I
need to build packages from source quite a bit since I have to push out
pd updates to 15+ debian boxes.

Here's my idea:
Separate each package out into its own "debian" directory which will
compile only one package:
externals/debian
externals/cyclone/debian
externals/flext/debian
externals/footils/debian  (aka pd-flext-ext; this might to be renamed
pd-footils for this to work)
externals/OSCx/debian
externals/pdp/debian
externals/pidip/debian
externals/unauthorized/debian

Then a Makefile in packages/debian could run "dpkg-buildpackage -b"
for each of these, copy the "debian" dir to the pd src, and compile it
too.

This system would make it easier to add new debian packages and have
them automatically build, since all of the necessary files would be
totally separate, with the exception of a couple lines in
packages/debian/Makefile