[PD-dev] a few questions

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Apr 9 22:52:50 CEST 2004

On Friday, Apr 9, 2004, at 16:06 America/New_York, Mathieu Bouchard
wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> Being able to run "wish u_main.tk" would actually be really helpful to
>> app to make a proper MacOS X .app.  So unless it breaks things, I am
>> for it.
>
> Cool, I may attempt that eventually.
>
>> With all of these changes that you are making, its going to be hard to
>> get them merged into the core.
>
> I know that.
>
>> Do you have any plans to break out the changes into individual
>> patches, maybe, to make it more palettable?
>
> I am afraid I can't make it more palatable for most of the changes. The
> main reason is that the GUI changes are actually a gradual rewrite of
> the
> whole of IEMGUI, and then I'm also changing the base Pd GUI as well,
> and
> turning it into something quite completely different code-wise that
> just
> will happen to be 99% compatible with the old one. Look at pd_upload()
> and
> sys_mgui() and u_object.tk for examples of what I'm going towards...
>
>> It would be a shame to see your code turn into a permanent fork
>
> I won't personally do the big work on the devel<->impd merging, but I
> am
> certainly not against it, whenever impd gets back to stable enough.
>
>> or not get used.
>
> And according to you, why wouldn't a lot of people switch to the impd
> branch? especially if it gets to beta and gets exported and released
> and
> binaries are available...

For me, a some key things don't work with impd, like [tot] IIRC.  And
if Miller's changes aren't maintained in impd, then there would be a
fork.  Already, a bunch of useful stuff has been forgotten in the
devel_0_36 branch, for whatever reason.

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams