collective decision making WAS: Re: [PD-dev] motex cvs

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jun 3 20:41:50 CEST 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 11:39 AM, günter geiger wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
> GG wrote:
>>> So this is the problem. Someone would have to really think about it,
> [...]
>
>> The key here before we can make any decisions at all, we need to come
>> up with a method of making decisions.  I think the Debian model makes
>> lot of sense: one developer, one vote.  We could just adopt a lot of
>> the Debian model directly, since its tried-n-true and well developed.
>>
>> How to become an official developer:
>> http://www.debian.org/devel/join/nm-step1
>>
>> Debian Voting Info:
>> http://www.debian.org/vote/
>>

> I think this is definitely too complicated. Did you really read all
> this stuff ? The rest probably boils down to every developer has a
> vote.
>
> Most of the debian applicants probably think that the new
> maintainer process is everything else than tried-n-true ..
>
> http://nm.debian.org/ and check out the statistics or write to one of
> the guys who had to wait three years to become maintainer.
>
> On the voting page ... "Condorcet method", "Cloneproof Schwartz
> Sequential Dropping", .. what ?

Yes, I agree that it is quite complicated, but it is the most
tried-n-true system for an official, codified developer democracy.  Its
not the only way, I am trying to get a discussion going on this topic
because nothing else can happen along these lines until we come up with
a system for making collective decisions that is fair.

Those criticisms are valid, does anyone have any alternate suggestions?

> Is this really necessary ?
>
>> A non-profit organization takes A LOT of work to set up, I've been
>> thru
>> it, as well as money to pay lawyers.  And that's just for a U.S.
>> non-profit, an international NGO could easily be much more work to set
>> up.  I am not at all opposed to doing it, I just think it doesn't make
>> much sense right now.  I think the way to go would be first set up an
>> organization, then eventually make it a legal entity.  Plus there are
>> many decisions that will need to be made when setting up the NGO, so
>> first, we need a mechanism for making decisions.
>
> I am not a lawyer. Maybe there is an easier way then to have a common
> bank
> account without having to pay taxes, like a "Verein" or such.
>
> Well, I know, my mind is just too simple

I don't know anything about the laws regarding Vereins.  At the very
least, if we are going to create such an organization, we are going to
have to consult a lawyer to tell us what all of the ramifications are.
Otherwise it could screw us in the end.

I know quite a bit about setting up a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation
in the U.S., but I know basically nothing about what that means outside
of the U.S.

.hc

> Guenter
>

>> .hc
>>

>>> Guenter

>> __
>> ____
>>
>>   As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
>> glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
>> this we should do freely and generously.
>>                                                  - Benjamin Franklin

____

deliberately throwing it
away to benefit those who profit from scarcity."
							-John Gilmore