Usability [was: Re: [PD-dev] Re: pure devil (fwd)]

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Aug 16 20:32:43 CEST 2005

Good ideas I'm hearing.

As for <insert> I think <shift-enter> would work better. insert implies
inserting a the current position, so if we're already on an object
insert is not so clear. <enter> implied that a new visual "line" would
be created underneath what is currently active.

What about you click on a connection and then press <insert> to insert
an object between the two and make the reconnections.

The left and right arrow shifting for a connection would be handy. How
about you select a connection, and then you can move around either end
with the arrow keys.

Another neat twist would be to auto connect many inlets on the same
object, say you select two objects and hit connect - all or something,
then from left to right all the outlets of the first object get
connected from left to right to all the available inlets in the second
object.

A friend of mine actually made a MAX patch that required about 1000
connections to be made from one object to another. blech! bad style, yes
but anyhow.

for the record I would very strongly advocate exchanging the idea of the
"font bomb" for the zoomer idea. :)

B.