[PD-dev] Re: Linux-Installer bugfix

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Wed Dec 7 17:08:27 CET 2005

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>Hallo,
>Hans-Christoph Steiner hat gesagt: // Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>>What I meant is that pd-extended would be a debian package with
>>everything but Pd itself in it.  Then you would be free to install
>>pd-extended in combo with the Pd of your choosing.  There would be some
>>problems with compatibility with some of the features of pd-devel if
>>externals are using them, but other wise it would work.  Maybe there
>>could be a debian package of just all of the Pd-based files, like
>>abstractions and doc, then the compiled stuff would be separate.
>>

>Which reminds me: Debian's policy handles documentation in some
>special way, which I need to read up on, but things like html-docs,
>pdf-Howtos etc. should be in /usr/share/doc/pd-something, whereas we
>can keep the patches in /usr/lib/pd/doc. Moving the files with
>Debian's package tools is easy, however if they are called from Pd
>(like the html-manual) we need to take special care. Though, for now I
>would be happy to get a current package of pd with externals running,
>wherever the docs show up in the end.
>
>Ciao

It might be better to have every pd distibution have the same directory
strucure under pd/
and then add symlinks/aliases/shortcuts in system-specific directories
according to the particular distribution for a particular setup of a
particular operating system operated by a particular human with
particular taste in directory structure that day.

Martin