Using Copyright WAS: Re: [PD-dev] Political Impropriety

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jan 6 04:36:22 CET 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 2:00 PM, Marc Lavallée wrote:

> Le 4 Janvier 2006 12:18, B. Bogart a écrit :
>> Ah, but it says "coping AND distribution" so you would be free to copy
>> as long as much as you want as long as you don't distribute it.
>> (which I
>>   guess means provide copies to other people).
>
> Yes.
>
> And the GPL also allow to use your own modifications for your own
> business,
> without compulsory redistribution. If it was not the case, the FSF
> would be
> thrilled about DRM and "trusted computing"...

Actually, no.  Check CC's "human readable" version:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/

"If you copy or distribute the program, you must accompany it with the
complete corresponding machine-readable source code or with a written
offer, valid for at least three years, to furnish the complete
corresponding machine-readable source code."

.hc