[PD-dev] PureUnity now includes an "external"

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jan 6 06:57:17 CET 2006

On Jan 5, 2006, at 10:36 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>>> PureUnity now includes an "external" which is actually 5 lines of C
>>> code.
>>> I tried hard not using any externals but now I have a real good
>>> reason to.
>>> Now, the problem is that PureUnity is in /abstractions/ ... does the
>>> build
>>> system extend to that directory? Do I have to move PureUnity
>>> elsewhere?
>> Hard one. The "build" system also extends over to "abstractions", see
>> abstractions/Makefile. However preferably "abstractions" should be
>> used only for pure abstractions, that is, stuff that can be installed
>> by copying files around without any compilation. Of course
>> abstractions do require certain externals. How about moving just the
>> PU external over to "externals"?
>
> If the buildsystem extends to /abstractions/ then what is the point of
> keeping /externals/ and /abstractions/ separated? (apart from
> inertia...)

Currently, things are roughly organized around build system.  For Pd
objects, there is no compilation, so there isn't really a build system.
  Right now, /abstractions/ is just Pd objects, so if you want to
introduce a C object, don't put it in /abstractions/.

I am open to suggestions how to best organize this, but I think for
compiled objects, organizing around compilation system makes the most
sense.  But Pd objects could really go anywhere.

____

this we should do freely and generously.

                          - Benjamin Franklin