[PD-dev] $0 in messages, was: multiple $arg-expansion

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jan 16 00:20:14 CET 2006

On Jan 15, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> personally i have to admit, that i don't have problems with $ in
>> objects
>> and $ in messages.
>
> Note that my suggestion would allow *both* $x and #x in messages next
> to each other! #x would expand to an object's #x which would be, what
> $x currently is in an object. And $x in a message will stay as it is.
>
> Example: a message [; #1-x $1( would send the first element of an
> incoming message list ($1) to a receiver, that is taken from the
> surrounding abstraction's first argument (#1-x). This may be easier to
> understand than the current way to do this:
>
>   [pack 0 $1-x]
>   [; $2 $1(
>
> (I know, I'm a bit cheating by not using [s $1-x] here)
>
> Note that I'm not convinced myself if all this is worth the effort, it
> is just food for thought. I'm also not convinced that we need $0 in
> messages, though.

If we are talking about the current $ arg situation being confusing,
then I don't think that
[; #1-x $1(  would help that.  The only advantage I can see to the
addition of # args is shortcuts.  But that would be at the expense of
syntactic and logical simplicity, and my guess is that it would make
code harder to read rather than easier.

.hc