[PD-dev] Re: [PD] Re: [PD-announce] sIgpAck-0.03b

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Jan 21 23:42:58 CET 2006

Hallo,
Tim Blechmann hat gesagt: // Tim Blechmann wrote:

> > - the objects need to compiled in the single-object/single-file format
>
> i think, this is a pd-extended guideline, not a cvs repository
> guideline ... as i stated several times, i prefer to use libraries if
> possible ...

I don't think, this applies to sigpack anyway, as it already can be
compiled both ways, even with prefix "sp_", thanks to the recent
changes I did and which Martin accepted, and it's not a very intrusive
change, so every user can make his/her own choice if to compile as
single or as library.

> > - the geiger namespace makes object name prefixes like "sp_"
> > unnecessary, but if you really want them, that's ok.  But I consider
> > them deprecated and ugly.  A better solution would be a more
> > descriptive name if you want to differentiate from iemlib's and
> > cyclone's [round~], unless they all do similar things.  With the
> > geiger namespaces in Pd-extended, you can use all three at the same
> > time even if they have the same name.
>
> well, i don't think that having a sp_ prefix is that bad ...

There are some "prior art" examples of prefixed externals, like "pdp_"
or "k_", or "rrad." This really is a matter of taste and IMO the taste
of the original author is, what should be respected as guideline in
this regard. (I'll probably drop the "rrad." in the future and switch
to directory/geiger namespaces, but Kjetil should keep his "k_" and
martin his "sp_", if they want to.)

Regarding the directory names being in miXed case: I think, we never
talked about a guideline for this, but I would suggest we do?

I would vote for using only lowercase names for (toplevel)
directories, overriding author's tastes. ;) Lets vote!!

Ciao