[PD-dev] Re: [PD-announce] Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC7

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jan 23 22:54:58 CET 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Yves Degoyon wrote:

> i never made a pledge to american law

neither did I. But note that most countries agreed to the Berne
Convention: http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/berne/trtdocs_wo001.html

there are laws that are per-country and so might not apply where you are,
but the stable part of the copyright law is almost worldwide.

There's Free Software Foundation Europe: http://fsfeurope.org/

There's Free Software Foundation Latin America: http://www.fsfla.org/

> i think free software should be more than a commodity where you are not
> obliged to pay any licence, but that it should also be seen as a brick
> to build another world,

The FSF wants to build another world as well, and that's why they
criticise the open-source movement for not being morally ambitious enough.
It's just not the same world as you, apparently...

> and be prohibited to be used in some contexts.

What I want you to understand is that this prohibition causes more harm
than it cures.

> ( when i see that people are proud in some linux magazine that free
> software has ben used to operate a tank, i just think we don't share
> lots of values

That's because you are not in a country under attack. If you had someone
sending guided missiles up your ass, you'd want your country's army to do
something about it, and it's not a matter of whether the antimissile
defense is Linux-powered or not. Anyway if you *needed* an antimissile or
a tank, you'd rather want it Linux-powered than Windows-powered any day
for sure.

> and i want to run from 'mainstream' free software, what it becomes now,
> another system ...

You see, it's normal to have systems sometimes. When there's an evil
system somewhere, you shouldn't be worried about the fact that it's a
system as much as the fact that it's evil, because, if you do, then the
evil system has won, while all the potential good replacements lose.