[PD-dev] fink package

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Feb 21 02:09:52 CET 2006

On Feb 20, 2006, at 10:10 AM, james tittle wrote:

> hey all,
>
> On Feb 20, 2006, at 12:34 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> Wouldn't that instead be by reordering the priority of the INCLUDE
>>> dirs?
>>> depends on whether it's e.g. -ltcl -ltk in both TkAqua and TkX11, or
>>> whether the options are different, e.g. -framework Tcl -framework Tk
>>> in
>>> one and -l in the other. If the options are the same then it should
>>> be
>>> just a matter of priority. But then the things from Fink either have
>>> to be
>>> bundled with pd (static linking or other) or else everyone must run
>>> Fink,
>>> right?
>>
>> A fink package would use fink dependencies, just like a Debian
>> packages uses Debian dependencies.  Its a bigger problem than just
>> which Tcl/Tk libs to compile against since in the source, #ifdef
>> __APPLE__ and #ifdef MACOSX assume Tcl/Tk Aqua.
>
> ...I've actually had versions before that worked in X11 (while a/b
> testing tcl/tk aqua changes), so it's not a really big deal, but a bit
> bigger than just changing the linkage...the "hidden" problem to be
> addressed is that I had switched from using the tcl/tk.framework's to
> using fink's x11 tcl/tk, so it wound up using pd-gui like on
> linux...this works fine for a command line version of pd-x11, which is
> likely what a fink package would be...but we can probably do better
> still ;-)

I am fine having a command-line only Fink version.  It could then
easily go-exist with a Pd.app.

> ...recent versions of the tcl/tk.framework's actually include both
> aqua AND x11 versions, so it's feasible to retain the app package of
> pd-extended, but have it auto-launch x11 when needed (like gimp or
> inkscape on osx)...this'll require some work, but will definitely be a
> help while getting aqua tcl/tk up to snuff...

This would be nice in the long run, even have it as a preference
whether to launch with X11 or Aqua.  But then this would not need to be
distributed thru fink, but rather just a .dmg Apple-style download.

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice, it
can change entire economies."
                                                     - Amy Smith